Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chris Janotta's blog added to Education Matters

From What Teacher's Do

by Chris Janotta

My name is Chris Janotta, and I am a teacher. Teaching is one of the most rewarding jobs a person can have and also one of the most frustrating. The rewards come in the form of the satisfaction, pride, and sheer magic that I experience every day while working with the students in my class room. The frustration occurs when I read another article about teachers that is filled with myths, half-truths, or–sometimes–even blatant lies.

So it occurred to me that maybe most people just don’t know what it is like being a teacher. I mean, I visit my doctor, but I have no idea what he does other than what I see him doing during the ten to fifteen minutes he is interacting with me. I’ve seen plenty of traffic stops and even been stopped once or twice myself, but I couldn’t tell you what it’s like to perform the job of a police officer; in fact I have no idea what it must be like to do what they do day-in and day-out. However, lately at least, it seems like more and more people who have never been teachers believe they can tell you exactly what it’s like to walk in our shoes.

Well, I think it’s time people hear from the teachers themselves exactly what it’s like to be a teacher. I think people need to hear the truth about what happens every day in our class rooms. I think people should hear about both the triumphs we witness every day as well as the barriers we face. I think parents might want to hear about how much time their children spend preparing for tests versus how much time they spend learning how to be creative thinkers. I’d bet that taxpayers would be pretty interested in hearing about how much of their money goes toward expenses that don’t have anything to do with helping America’s children get the education they deserve.

In other words, I think it’s time for Americans to hear about their public education system straight from the horses’, or in this case the teachers,’ mouths. And I’m hoping other teachers feel the same way and that those who aren’t teachers are willing to listen. Because believe me, there is plenty to be told.

http://whatteachersdo.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/why-i-started-this-site/

No comments:

Post a Comment