Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2011

The school board makes the right call on KIPP school expansion in Jacksonville

I am a frequent critic of the school board and the reasons are both numerous and valid but occasionally I have to say they get some right.

They recently voted to table the discussion on the expansion of KIPP schools in Jacksonville (they are going to revisit the issue in a couple weeks so my tune may change). If you missed it thier first school despite Herculean efforts had the worse FCAT score in Northeast Florida.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask they show some sustained success before being allowed to expand.

I wish the KIPP school well but you will forgive me if I have grown tired of all this call for the expansion of charter schools and voucher programs. The republicans in Tallahassee shout, school choice is what we need, unfortunately the choices they offer, charter schools and private schools often do worse than public schools and hurt public schools by diverting much needed funds away from them.

But hey as long as parents have a choice right?

Lets take a wait and see aditute towards the KIPP schools and their expansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment