Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Why are Jacksonville's high school students taking 7 or 8 classes at a time

I called the University of North Florida and asked them what a full time college schedule was. They told me it was four classes. I asked the lady who picked up if I could take eight at a time. At first I believe she thought I was joking. When I assured her I wasn’t she said I would have to get a special override but it was unlikely that I would get permission. That’s just to many classes, she said.

I called Jacksonville University and asked them what a full time college schedule was. They told me it was four classes. I asked the lady who picked up if I could take eight at a time. At first I believe she thought I was joking. When I assured her I wasn’t she said I would have to get a special override but it was unlikely that I would get permission. It would be crazy to take that many classes, she said.

I called Florida State College at Jacksonville and asked them what a full time college schedule was. They told me it was four classes. I asked the lady who picked up if I could take eight at a time. At first I believe she thought I was joking. When I assured her I wasn’t she said I would have to get a special override but it was unlikely that I would get permission. I have never heard of anybody ever taking that many classes, she said.

I didn’t have the heart to tell the lady that’s how many classes all the students in public high school here in Jacksonville take. That’s right they all take eight classes double what would be considered full time in college.

Furthermore when I was in college I made sure if I could to put some fun class in my schedule. A class I enjoyed not just some hoop I had to jump through to get to the next level. Many of our kids today don’t have that luxury. They are taking eight academic classes at a time. It’s not uncommon for children to have two maths or two English’s concurrently on their schedule and furthermore some take both a class and it’s prerequisite at the same time. Many students go without electives.

There are undoubtedly some kids who would fail if all they were taking just one or two classes but at the same time how aren’t we overloading many of the children attending our schools.

It’s not just the amount of classes that they are taking that are holding many of our high school students back either.

High school starts for some as early as 7:10 and this means most students get up much earlier. This is how we have set it up for the group of children that most experts say need the most rest. We are doing the opposite of what’s best for them putting them in a position that assures that in actually they are getting the least. Also if this is the group we want off the streets the most why do we put them back on the streets, in most cases at 2:15, the earliest.

Furthermore classes are way to long. This fast food, video game generation is not programmed to sit in a class for ninety minutes at a time, simply put they don’t have the attention span. Invariably this leads to instruction time being lost in many classes and in more than a few this leads to discipline problems as well. If classes were fifty minutes, coincidently enough the same length as the majority of college classes’, kids would be distracted less and focused more.

If we are determined to keep kids on the block schedule what about switching it back to when children only took four classes at a time. Not only would this stop forcing some kids to take both the prerequisite for a class and the class or two math’s and two English’s at a time but it would make things fair. The only reason I know of that the district switched to an A/B block schedule (eight classes at a time) is so students taking Advanced Placement classes would still be taking them at the end of the year when the tests were offered.

Though and I understand reasonable people can disagree, I think the best schedule is a six period day that is fifty minutes to an hour long where at least one elective could be worked in that starts later in the day. Shouldn’t we give more of these growing kids filled with hormones, who by nature are already sleep deprived, who have short attention spans, many of who have absent parents and live in neighborhoods that don’t care about education, at least, at the very least a fighting chance.

You hear all the time about what parents and the community should be doing and about what teachers should be doing more of. Well what about the system? It currently sets up many high school students to fail or to be mediocre at best. What changes are they making? How are they making things better?

3 comments:

  1. Keep in mind that while 4 classes at a time if a full load in college, they take 4-5 in one semester (some even 6). In a full year (not counting summer) a college student will complete 8-12 courses. So perhaps the real question should be "Is taking 8 classes all year really ideal for every high school student?" Remember when we had more classes that were only a semester long? I wonder if the success rate for many students was higher when they had to learn material every day for the half the year. Only the AP courses were taught for a full year, which made sense because there may not have been enough time to cover all of the AP material in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    I appreciate your blog. It gives voice to many of the frustrations that we teachers feel. If I may point out one consistent error that you make on many of your blogs, you confuse the word "to" with the word "too." I worry that the importance of your message may be obfuscated by this type of error. Our detractors look for any possible way to discredit our views. Remember, that "too" is used when you mean "excessively" or "also." Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all fairness to you, I noticed a punctuation error in my last sentence. There is no need for the comma after "Remember." To err is human....

    ReplyDelete