Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

More and more teachers pay check to pay check

From a fellow teacher

It is true that people go into teaching knowing they won't become wealthy, they still deserve a wage that allows them to live a comfortable, if somewhat frugal, lifestyle. After 18 years teaching in Duval County, I take home the same amount of pay as a first year teacher that has no dependents to cover on their insurance.

I pay over $8,000 a year for health insurance, but can't budget the co-pay to cover all of the prescription my family and I need. After rent, electric, basic cable, gas,and groceries, my pay check is pretty much gone. And I am not extravagant. I drive an 11 year old car, and live in the cheapest, safe, apartment complex I could find. I have been rated high performing every year that the rating existed, and work 7-10 hours outside of school to make sure everything is the best it can be for my students. I don't want much, but it would be nice to take my family out to a nice dinner, or on a short vacation.

The untold secret of being a teacher, particularly one supporting a family, is that you aren't just accepting a low paycheck, you are truly sacrificing. Unfortunately my family is tired of watching me work harder every year, and seeing my paycheck shrink. When you factor in the 3% retirement contribution and rising health care costs, I take home less than I did 5 years ago.

I am stunned on a daily basis how little respect, regard, and care DCPS shows its veteran teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment