Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Teach for America's ethics problem

From MyEdNext.org

by Dianne Hanfmann

Perhaps someone else can bring rest to my weary brain as I try to find the ethical stance of Teach for America since I am unable to do so alone. Call me crazy but I fail to equate 5 weeks' training with the term highly qualified teacher. If the task was to assemble a number of bicycle models, perhaps I could buy that description, but never can I minimize the awesome expanse of learning and the brain. What does TFA know about the simplicity of brain functions that post grads failed to miss as they spend numerous years studying, only to know how much there still remains to be learned? A hotel management major with 5 weeks' training is disguised as a highly qualified teacher and legally so. When did deception become legalized? I guess it was about a year ago. Where was the outcry and where is the current outcry of TFAers as to thier wish not to be mislabelled and not to deceive the unsuspecting parents? I hear the corp members are idealistic, but does their idealism disappear when it comes to transparency?

Current reform efforts like to talk of parent empowerment and transparency. How is TFA embodying these buzzwords and how do they justify their silence on such topics? Should their silence be construed as complicity with deception, even if legal? I opine yes, definitely, and without doubt. I would imagine opt out for parents should be part of the program but I suppose this has not been available since falsely described teachers, imho, are placed in front of a class for 180 days in a manner similar to a stealth bomber. Why is this permissible? Does it exist simply because TFA knows parents would object if they were informed? How many TFAers are found in schools full of children with more blessings than those with less? I envision traffic being blocked for miles as parents would be storming the doors in revolt in my rather affluent area. Parents in less affluent areas are denied such an opportunity to protest as they are denied the background information that may elicit active rejection. Shameful comes to mind.

A parent advocate, I await the day I meet a TFAer teaching in a special education class. Imagine the Russian History major plus 5 weeks' training who finds the decision to place himself/herself
as a teacher of students with autism for 180 days to be one of integrity and in the best interest of students. I can't see it. I can guess an attorney may salivate at the find of such an unprepared person in a classroom so protected by legalities and an act of concern. What does TFA find positive about that?

Last, I am curious as to the additional fee for hiring a TFAer. I wonder if it would then be consistent to pay more for a cubic zirconium than a diamond. Should foks who impersonate physicians and lack training be hired by hospitals at a greater cost than a physician with all needed training? If TFAers are true to thier ideals, will they be taking thier injured child to

an acounting graduate wh0 completed a 5 week first aid course? Not me...and that is why TFA raises the above questions. This writing was elicited when I saw TFA suggesting they were the dream in reference to Martin Luther King. The only dream I opine MLK would find TFA to be is a nightmare. Wake me up when it is over!

http://myednext.org/profiles/blogs/has-anyone-found-the-ethics-of-teach-for-america?commentId=6237205%3AComment%3A18235&xg_source=msg_com_blogpost

No comments:

Post a Comment