Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Peter Rummell, concerned citizen or one percenter trying to buy the board (rough draft)

Last fall things looked bleak for Democrat Alvin Brown and rosy for Republican Mike Hogan in the race for mayor. That was until republican business man Peter Rummell entered the fray on Brown’s side and was able to catapult him to victory. He was lauded then as somebody able to cross party lines and to do what is best for the city.

Now when he is seemingly doing the same thing about hiring a new superintendent his motives are being questioned. Betty Burney in a Times Union editorial said, I trust that this concern is about what is best for children. Hopefully it is not about the article in the Times-Union concerning Mr. Rummell’s desire to control the education process with the election of four retired CEOs.

I wonder if the thought that he might actually be concerned about what is best for our children ever entered her mind.

The thing is, when it comes to our kids, our choices should be non-partisan, our choices should be all about what is best for our kids. On my blog I routinely blast President Obama, Arne Duncan and Michelle Rhee all Democrats and too many members of the Florida Legislature to count, all Republicans, because their policies are bad for our kids.

I write about education issues all the time and people on the far right, who I generally can’t understand as I am sure they can’t understand me, tell me all the time they disagree with me on everything but education.

The jury is still out on whether Mr. Rummell is a concerned citizen or a meddling corporate raider looking to influence policies and make a buck but the jury should not be out about this current board. They along with the superintendent have really set Jacksonville’s education scene back. They have hurt kids and ruined lives and that’s not hyperbole, that’s the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment