Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Duval County's Kabuki Theater

All style, little substance was my first impression of Duval County’s first community involvement meeting to pick the superintendent. It didn’t help that former school board member Nancy Broner the districts moderator started her presentation with, it is so nice to see all of you again.

That’s right, she said, nice to see you all again.

That was the impression I got too as I sat in the back and watched people filter in. This wasn’t a collection of strangers getting together to pick the next superintendent, this had more of a, lets get the band back together, feel.

Seven of the thirty-five or so people there were picked at random. Teachers who put themselves into a lottery but the other 28 or so were all hand picked so maybe that shouldn’t have been unexpected.

It is early in the process so I am not going to write it off as of yet but I will say I did not leave with an optimistic feeling in my gut. I felt like the band was led by the questions and as a result we received a lot of canned and in my opinion not very accurate answers. I was also not encouraged because if this group of city and school leaders helped lead us to where we are at I don’t think they are the ones to lead it out.

But like I said I am not ready to give up on the process yet. I just hope next time we get a little more substance with all the style.

No comments:

Post a Comment