Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Setting up teachers and students to fail.

From a teacher/reader representing a thousand Duval classrooms:

I am like a chicken with my head cut off, trying to figure out how to arrange a classroom with twenty-five, 8th grade middle schoolers, Level 1 and 2 readers, who must receive 45 minutes of whole group SRA, after which I am to somehow miraculously convert my classroom into a cozy "group" setting for the 20 to 30 minutes of " differentiated group instruction," making sure that no separate group disturbs the other, while I am sitting (yes, now we are directed to SIT) with my small group ( of 9-10, that the district says must be no greater than 6). After which my room again be magically converted to the "whole group" format for the next class, to be done for two more classes. All of this while coordinating daily with the reading teacher, having no SRA books, being told to apply the concepts of the required  novel to 5-6 other novels approved by the district that are too hard, too boring, and have nothing to do with the theme. 

Needless to say, I am sick of my admin and the district minimizing our challenges. I want someone to model it for me using my 7th period, over-age, 10 ese, and many 504 plan kids because I have spent an entire weekend trying and just cannot find a workable solution. Did I mention that our AP has started Informal Observations under these preposterous conditions? Maybe I can get fired! 

No comments:

Post a Comment