Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, December 5, 2014

The Hubris of the Times Union’s editorial staff.

I have to say reading their editorial on testing I found myself in agreement on most of it. I think they missed the point that other states that didn’t engage in punitive accountability systems have seen improvement too and they ignore the class size amendment but editorials aren’t about facts they are about what feels right.

The part that really got me was when the editor wrote: Recent controversies over Value Added Model scores have questioned their reliability, thanks to the Times-Union’s lawsuit that forced the release of the data.

That’s some epic level hubris there. I told them about the firestorm that would irrupt, I pointed out all the problems that would come along with VAM scores and friends I am no rocket science but the problems with VAM scores in other districts were well known. Had they wanted to know they could have known.

There were much better ways to expose the problems with VAM scores and what does it say that they put out scores they knew to have problems, than putting everybody’s out there exposing teachers to ridicule. Then I don’t think it should be lost on anybody that they put the scores out just as their web-site transitioned from being free to pay content.

They have hubris approaching superintendent level proportions.

To read their editorial click the link:

No comments:

Post a Comment