Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Why I sometimes hate DTU, endorsement edition

First let me say I think DTU has done as well as humanly possible on economic issues, hands down, though I have been disappointed on how we have given in on the treatment of veteran teachers, especially when it has to do with surpluses.

Then as somebody who has been in trouble multiple times with the district I can say unequivocally the union has always been there and fought for me. I can't express in words how appreciative I am of them.

So with that out of the way I can't stress how disappointed I am that the union choose to co endorse businessman Nick Howland and former teacher Elizabeth Andersen.

The union co endorsing Howland and Andersen is like rooting for Florida and Georgia when they play, or wanting to vote for DeSantis and Gillum, it doesn't make any sense.

Howland has taken money from people who would drown the union in a bath tub given the chance while Andersen is a former teacher who was in our classrooms.

Howand is the candidate of charter schools and alternate teaching routes while Andersen is the candidate of teachers and public schools yet somehow they are the same?

Bull Sh^t!

I know what the union did and that's they hedged heir bet, which is a huge lack of leadership. Does DTU think Howand is ever going to support union positions? If so I have some swampland, prime real estate I would like to sell them cheap.

The union has sacrificed the moral high ground on the chance it might not alienate a future board member rather than go all in on the perfect candidate for the job and it makes me ill.

I am a union guy and will be one tomorrow too, but this is so disappointing.

At the end of the day if you care about public education there is only one candidate in district 2 and that's Elizabeth Andersen, how the union, or more accurately the small percentage of the union that does the endorsing didn't see that,  is beyond me.

3 comments:

  1. Chris, DTU only supports you when you're in trouble because you have a blog that gets 1,000 hits per day. They don't support anybody else. And they only file grievances on economic issues. They do nothing about contract violations that occur daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So disappointed by this. It's hard to believe a union of teachers wouldn't choose a former teacher to endorse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pathetic union. What wimps. This is why union membership is on the decline because instead of standing up for what you believe in you try to appease those that would take those rights away. DTU continues to erode what little influence it has left. Stand up for what you believe in and don’t be a pawn in the dismantling of our public schools.

    ReplyDelete