Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Parents who have been stressing over distance learning.,don't, it is going to be all right.

Hello all, I hope this finds you safe and well.
All over my social media feeds I can see parents stressing about distance learning perhaps even more than teachers which is considerable, let me give you a little bit of advice, don’t. You have a lot of things to stress about during these trying times and if your kid is on the computer six hours a day or a lot, lot less, should not be one of them.
First if school were in session this would be testing time which means a couple weeks of preparing for the tests and a couple weeks of taking them. I am not saying meaningful learning doesn’t occur during this time, but I am saying meaningful learning doesn’t occur during this time if you get my meaning.
Then it’s not a secret but things slow down some after test season is over. Again I am not saying meaningful learning doesn’t occur during this time, but I am saying meaningful learning doesn’t occur during this time if you get my meaning.
Think of it like hitting a home run in baseball, at first the batter sprints because he doesn’t know where the ball is going to land, but once he is sure it’s going over the fence, he might ease up as he heads into home. We are at the easing up as we head into home phase of the school year calendar. In a way if we are going to have a pandemic, now is the best time academically.
Then friends if your student was engaged and present for the first three quarters of the year, I can’t see many teachers, most of whom are just trying to figure things out as well, being too upset or too harsh as the school year comes to an end during a pandemic, if your kid skips and assignment here or there.
I am not saying put them on the x-box or the I-pad, but I am saying they aren’t going to fall to far behind or behind at all if you make a schedule that cuts down on the stress of daily distance learning.
There are other things you and they can do too, what about a book report, a research paper, virtual tours or a science project, all take time and can be worthy endeavors that keep the brain going.
In short you are not a bad parent if you don't want your kid on the computer for six hours a day or five or four or and you don't want to fight with your kids to make sure it happens. 
As for teachers giving tests, quizzes and expecting participation in virtual meetings, my hats off to you, but maybe slow down a little bit too for the first few weeks anyways as parents and children get more comfortable with whatever system you and they are using. You wanting to jump in with both feet and get things as close to normal is laudable but at the same time slow and steady win the race.
So friends, I would say for teacher and parent alike, do something but do what works for you but if you are stressing out about it, maybe what you are doing isn’t.
Stay safe and well.

Image may contain: one or more people and people sitting

No comments:

Post a Comment