Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2022

Greene responds to a change in optional pay schedule

 I asked teachers if having optional pay moved back a full week was going to hurt them, cause them to dip into savings, skip bills, etc. and the overwhelming response was yes.

I deleted the names, compiled the responses, and sent them to the district hoping they could move up the optional pay date this year or at least make a new policy that going forward optional pay would be released no more than two weeks after the last paycheck.

Below is Greene's response that I will present without comment.

Though before you read it, I want to remind people, that optional pay is staff's money, they have already earned it, that money does not belong to the district, and that Greene just accepted a 25k raise to 300k, which is more than the mayor and chief of police make... combined.

Mr. Guerrieri,

 

As you are aware, certain 10-month employees (including teachers) have the option to spread their regular pay (22 checks) to either 25 or 26 checks (depending on the employee group). This “Optional Pay Plan” is available to employees but is not required.  The optional pay checks begin after the employee’s last regular paycheck in June. The dates are negotiated with and agreed to by the union. While there is some variation from year to year, the schedule remains substantively the same.   The schedule is posted all year on our website so that employees are aware of the specific pay dates.  Additionally, the union sends this schedule to employees several times throughout the year.

 

For the 2021-2022 school year, the last regular paycheck for employees on the optional pay plan was June 3, 2022. Below is a comparison of the optional pay plan dates between the 2021-2022 school year and the 2020-2021 school year. As you can see, there is only a minor difference between last year’s schedule and the current schedule. 

 

 

We will continue to provide this option for employees who choose to use it.  Employees do have an option to opt out of the Optional Plan each year if they do not want to remain on the Optional Pay schedule.  To do so, they should complete the Optional Pay Plan Rescind form.

 

Thank you for sharing the feedback you have received from employees.  We will use it to ensure there is added visibility of the annual schedule. If you have any questions regarding the employee pay calendar, please contact Michelle Begley, Chief Financial Officer, at begleym@duvalschools.org.

 

Kind regards,

1 comment:

  1. I used to be on the optional pay plan til I figured out how to cancel it. The day I want the district to manage my money is the day I'll have a tag on my toe. I don't trust those jokers any farther than I can throw them. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

    ReplyDelete