Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Did Florida make professional development optional for teachers?

I am on a continuing professional contract. That means every five years I must earn 120 in service/professional development points, or six college credits or a combination thereof. I must also reapply and pay the certification fee.

Teachers hired since 2011 and those that switch from the professional contract are year to year. As far as I know they don't have to reapply for their positions every year and I who follows education in Florida closely haven't heard word one about professional development requirements or in service points.

So I reached out to the state asking how many they would need and how often and they said that was a local issue. So I called my district but of course nobody answered and as of yet anyways has gotten back to me about the message I left.

I wonder if professional development for people on the merit pay scale just became optional or if this is something they haven't even considered.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't the two issues separate? We need 120 points every five years to renew our certificates with the state. Our contracts are with our school district, and as far as I know, have no PD requirement given the level set for our certificates. I would answer that annual contract teachers have no requirement for the renewal of their contract, but need the 120 points (60 if they only have one certified subject) for their certificate.

    ReplyDelete