Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

What lesson is the district giving its teachers and kids with its reopening plan. (draft)

I have to say having a zoom call to discuss reopening subjects is a terrible look. If you don't feel safe enough to meet in person, why would you expect staff and students.
I want to thank the board and district for working so hard to ensure students can return to the classroom. It is what we all want and I also want to acknowledge how hard this must be, there are lots of moving parts and they all have moving parts too.

That being said I and many others have grave concerns about the district’s plan as is.
Unless there is a robust mask and ease of movement plan the district is assuring the virus will spread, people will get sick and schools will close. Some people say that is inevitable, well I reject that.
Then what lesson will we be teaching our children?
We will be teaching our children that science does not matter because all the science says masks are necessary.
We will be teaching our children that we can ignore experts because all the experts say masks are necessary.
We will be teaching our children that kindness, courtesy, and concern for their fellow citizens if optional as well.
These are the lessons the district will be teaching.
Somebody said to me, well we could not enforce it, kids don’t listen to teachers now. If that is true, then that’s indicative of a huge problem the district should address. I know the district hates to say no to children but with lives on the line the district needs to step up.
Then somebody said to me well if you want your kid to wear a mask, then do Duval homeroom or virtual school, the things is that is what we should be saying to families that don’t believe in science, care what experts say or have concern for their fellow citizens, the district should be saying to them have we have these other options but for in person school, to protect the health of our students and staff we are going to do everything possible. To me and many others the fact that you have not said that up till now is reckless and unacceptable.  
 Also while you have been trying to give families options what options have you given to staff? (pause) As far as I can the only option you have given them is risk your health or quit your job. Then not to let staff especially those with children to work from home on distant learning days just cements and screams you don’t value your staff.
We all want to be back, but the district’s plan is assuring people will get sick and classes will close and we can do better than that.
The district needs to create a robust mask and ease of movement plan, anything else assures people will get sick and schools will close.  
Real quick about Plexiglas screens, where not against them, I wonder if the district has thought through everything. If kids switch classes how are they going to be cleaned in between for example. I personally believe the money could be better spent on things like more bus routes so you could stagger start times and nurses, because lord knows if the district goes through with its current plan we are going to need them.

Chris Guerrieri 

3 comments:

  1. How can the city mandate mask usage inside (especially when it is difficult to socially distance) and have the schools just ignore it? Aren't students going to be in an indoor space and over the age of two?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say having your folks steal your opponents signs is not a good look. Pathetic really, oh and also illegal. I saw it with my own eyes though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two folks, me and my wife, which of us did you see? Also we're missing about fifty signs, could you watch out for them too? Finally I would call the cops if I saw you doing something illegal. Pathetic is right.

      Delete