Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

What wealth apoligists hear

People complain about poor people taking resources from the government but where else are they supposed to get them. Think of the economy as a pie, over 90% of that pie is gobbled up by the wealthiest 20% of the population, which leaves the 80% left to fight over 7% or so of the pie. Some people will inevitably be squeezed out.

There is such animosity towards those at the bottom that game the system while those at the top who do so  get a pass. I recently saw a graph that said one percent of the people who pay no federal income taxes are millionaires and about 12% make over a hundred thousand dollars. Many of our biggest and most profitable corporations pay no taxes at all. Quite often because most taxes are regressive (charging a flat rate) the poor and middle class end up spending a higher percentage of their incomes towards taxes.

Society cannot exist with a small group living opulently while the vast majority scrapes by nor should we want it to.

This is what I say, we could have good schools, a protected environment, an updated infrastructure, protect our vulnerable citizens, pay down the debt and have rich people too, or we can have none of those things and super rich people.

Sadly what the wealth apologists hear is; tax the rich to pay for moocher welfare moms on drugs with ten children.

No comments:

Post a Comment