Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

The districts haphazard plan to raise class sizes and surplus teachers (draft)

 This story is developing. I have asked the district a bunch of questions, but they haven't gotten back to me. That being said, I feel like I have talked to enough teachers, school administrators, and even a district administrator that revealed the district's terrible, terrible plan.

Everyone knows the district has a teacher shortage, and to address it, the district has a two-pronged attack and spoiler alert, both put more on teachers' plates. First, the district will increase class sizes; bigger classes mean you need fewer teachers. Part 2 of the plan is to surplus teachers since classes are bigger and send those teachers to schools where raising class sizes didn't fill in all the gaps. I am told thus far, 31 teachers, including a handful of new ones, have been surplussed with more to come after yesterday's district budgeting conference.   

When school does start, the district will be able to thump its chest and says look, we filled all of those vacancies; however, they won't mention all it took was violating the class size amendment, overworking teachers, and treating them like they are just easily replaceable cogs rather than the professionals that they are.  

It's my belief that both of these parts of the plans will lead to even more teacher losses, and it's also my belief the district doesn't care.

Violating the class size amendment has a cost to it, a cost that Greene seems more willing to pay than to pay teachers, 

I want to be honest that after years of neglect, the state has put DCPS and all of the public ed in this very deep hole. Where we have over 700 openings, there are 9k statewide. I read an article that said there were only 2k graduating from teacher colleges too, but that being said, the district's solution shouldn't be to put more on teachers' plates and to forcibly move some around. When put in a hole, one should stop digging but unfortunately, DCPS always asks, where is the shovel.  

I support the millage increase; it is long overdue but and I keep screaming it to whoever will listen; a lack of fair pay is only half the problem, the other half is too much work, unreal expectations, and a lack of support and respect and the district's plan exacerbates all of these things. 

We could and should be doing better, but we sadly don't have leaders that are interested or capable of doing so.

When I learn more, I will share.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if they discussed this with Teri Brady/DTU before moving ahead with the plan.

    ReplyDelete