Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2020

I won't be voting for the new teacher contract. It's an embarrassment and both parties need to head back to the drawing board

 The District and Union have come to a tentative contract agreement. In my opinion, teachers are big losers all across the board. I say send it back and demand better. I have three main issues, and two are designed to divide us. Don't let them.

The first is salary; years 1-9 gets a raise. Years ten and above get screwed. People can say the state tied the district's hands, and it's true the state sucks, but I can't believe this is the best they could do. Where is the creativity? Was extra PTO in lieu of salary brought up? What about one-time bonuses? How about the extra 500k the district had been spending monthly on emergency maintenance. How about overtime? We all know teachers are working dozens of unpaid hours each week. I wasn't there, but I can't believe this was the best we could do.

Then there is planning time. It's not terrible if you are in high school, but if you are in elementary school, it is practically nonexistent. Our brothers and sisters in the lower grades are getting no relief. the job guarantees they have to work outside the contract hours. I know it, you know it, and they know it. It a shame how we put upon these teachers.

Then I have a problem with the 12 faculty meetings. I am not getting paid enough to work for free. Teachers' non-contract hours are already not compensated for, and then they say, just up to 18 more free hours. I know it's not a lot, but it's the point of it.   

I get it; if I was in years 1-9 it's hard to pass up a big raise. 

I get it; if you teach in high school, does it really matter if our elementary school counterparts are yoked?

I say both those things are unacceptable. I say long-term both of those things will cause irreparable damage by either veteran teachers leaving or elementary school teachers getting burned out and leaving as well. If you are on the positive end of salary and planning now, rest assured there will come a time when you aren't if we allow this to continue. 

We can do better if we decide to. If we have the will.

My prediction, the contract will pass with 80 percent approval, and we will all suffer for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment