Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Shopping is no longer a pleasure. The betrayal of Publix.(rough draft)

Can I still go to Publix if I support Public Education?

That is a question I never thought I would ask, though I have boycotted companies before. I haven't been to a Wall-Mart in about six years.

So if you have missed the controversy, in a nut shell the owners of Public have come out hard for Adam Putnam our current agricultural commissioner and candidate for governor.

From the Tampa Times:

The Florida supermarket giant Publix has given more money to Adam Putnam's gubernatorial bid than any other candidate since at least 1995 and likely for the entirety of the company's history.
Publix, the heirs to the company's founder and its current and former leaders have given Putnam $670,000 in the last three years — or enough money to buy 74,527 chicken tender subs.
No other Florida candidate has ever come close to that kind of subsidy from Florida's largest Fortune 500 company. Its most recent contribution, a $100,000 donation on April 30, was the largest, too, according to the latest campaign finance filings.

The employee-owned company has also helped bankroll a handful of well-connected business groups who have contributed millions of dollars to the Republican candidate.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/05/15/publix-is-supporting-adam-putnams-run-for-governor-like-no-politician-before/

This support has also gone both ways, Also from the Tampa Times:

In 2016, WFTS-Channel 28 discovered seven Tampa Bay area Publix stores failed health inspections. In those stores, food inspectors found rodent droppings, hundreds of pounds of meat and other food stored at unsafe temperatures, bugs and employees not washing their hands, according to the report.
Putnam responded the next day by pulling the inspections from the department's website and eliminating the pass/fail grading system.

He replaced it six months later with a new rubric. Instead of a failing grade, the worst rating issued now is "re-inspection required."
Wow, talk about pay for play and shady.

Many people are upset about Publix supporting Putnam because of his A rating from the National Rifle Association and I find this very troubling as well,but what I find equally as troubling is Putnam is a long time member of the republican power structure that has done all it can to kneecap public education.

High stakes testing, blame and attack the teachers, don't pay the teachers, starve our schools of resources and heap upon them one unfunded mandate and bad policy after another. Funnel billions to charters and voucher schools, paying off donors and ignoring the will of the people about class sizes are just a few of Tallahassee greatest hits. I could go on and on about the unfairness, dishonesty and hypocrisy that has come from the elected republicans in Florida who have been completely in charge of both branches for over 20 years, and Publix is supporting Adam Putnam republican candidate for governor. What the beep Publix?!? Who do you think has been buying your subs?

I love Publix too. When I was single I survived on their BOGO selections and every time I go I get a free cup of ice, so I can't express how disappointed I was when I found out they had picked a man who had helped kneecap public education and was unlikely to change if elected.

What does Publix think will happen if a democrat is elected? That they will outlaw BOGO items or maybe its they don't think they will have friends in high places that will continue to cover up their scandals.

Publix is like that old friend who you love but you found out was a Trump supporter and won't be swayed by any of his formerly disqualifying actions. They continue to defend the indefensible.

So what am I going to do? Well I used to be a Publix or bust guy but those days are definitely gone. I haven't decided if I am going to stop going but know this, shopping is no longer a pleasure.

No automatic alt text available.

1 comment:

  1. There have been other issues prompting protests at Publix.
    http://ciw-online.org/publix/

    ReplyDelete