Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

President Obama, cluelss or really clueless about education?

From the Dianne Ravitch blog

To mark National Charter School Week, President Obama issued a proclamation hailing charter schools as “incubators of innovation.”

I began wondering what exactly he was thinking about.

I wonder if he ever visited the website http://charterschoolscandals.blogspot.com/.

I wonder if he knows about the nation’s largest charter chain, the Gulen network, run by associates of a Turkish imam.

I wonder if he was thinking about the “no excuses” charter schools, where mostly black children are taught obedience, conformity, and docility.

I wonder if he was thinking about the studies showing that charters are even more segregated than their host districts.

I wonder if he was thinking about New Orleans, where charters have displaced the public education system, and the district is the lowest, or next to the lowest performing in a low-performing state.

I wonder if he was thinking of the for-profit charters, which are making a bundle.

I wonder if he was thinking of the for-profit online corporation, whose CEO was paid $5 million last year.

I wonder if he has heard of the many studies showing that charters on average don’t get better results than public schools.

Or maybe he was thinking about the campaign cash of the Wall Street hedge fund managers who love charters.

http://dianeravitch.net/2012/05/08/incubators-of-innovation/

No comments:

Post a Comment