Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Why is it so hard for our schools to do the right thing?

Some things should be no-brainers.

If a kid acts up they get a legitimate consequence.

If they don’t come they fail.

If they are continuously late something should happen.

Classes should be rigorous, just showing up shouldn’t be enough.

Last year a teacher I like and respect, one of the best teachers in my school told me it’s hard to fail his class. If you show up and don’t cause any problems a C will see you through. He then looked at me and said, welcome to Duval County.

Another teacher and again one I like told me the reason they pass so many of their kids wasn’t because they had mastered the material it was because it wasn’t their fault they arrived to their class without the skills they need and she didn’t want to be the one to punish them or set them back.

A third, it’s just high school Chris what does it matter.

Administrators tell teachers, you better not fail to many or write to many referrals, as if teachers have control over a kids performance and behavior.

A parent overhearing a conversation I was having with another teacher told me, you know what’s really scary, is these kids today will be he ones taking care of me tomorrow, they will be counting my pills and helping me get into bed.

So many of our kids are graduating ill prepared for life because we don’t want to do the right thing.

Why is it so hard to do the right thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment