Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Perception and Reality of Jacksonville’s schools

Have you ever heard the expression perception means reality, think about that for a second.

A friend sent me this note: We met a new family to Jacksonville in the line at Moon River Pizza this past weekend. He was going to be working downtown and they were looking to buy a house at the beach. Not because the beach is nice and they want to be there, but because the school system is so terrible in Duval.

That’s the perception of our schools.

I believe the reality is we have many wonderful things going on in our schools, even our struggling schools. Great teachers and great kids working together. The thing is they our succeeding in spite of an administration that doesn’t believe in rigor, discipline and poorly treats their teachers. I believe the reality is we would be doing so much better if our administration was interested in doing the right things and then we wouldn't hear things like above.

The reality is we will never improve until this superintendent and school board are gone and are replaced by people interested in doing the right thing.

The reality is we need a sweeping change if we want to change the perception.

4 comments:

  1. isn't that why a PR department was created??

    ReplyDelete
  2. No PR Dept. could turn the Duval County School sows ear into a silk purse.

    I did my senior year here in 1971-72. Schools here were lousy then, but based on all I read here and elsewhere, far superior to today, except for Magnet Schools, which is worthy as a separate topic for how it has added to the destruction of Duval Co. Schools.

    By the time another family member graduated from the Duval County School System, around 1980, the schools were still pretty much a failure, always with exceptions, of course. All I heard while at the old FCCJ while going part time in the 80s and early 90s was how poorly prepared (educated) students were, who entered the college. From mid-90s to today, most of what I have read, especially when reading between the lines, has said education has gotten worse in Jacksonville.

    So, you want to disrespect a person who hears the truth and acts accordingly? You are not running for office because you think things are great here. I wish you were!

    Now, I think the schools problems relate closely to an overall City attitude that has permeated this city long before I arrived. Crazy as this sounds, I am hoping (but less hopeful now) that the Jaguars new owner has the charisma, to convince the whole city, top dogs of the city, who run the city from behind the scenes, down to the man in the street, that the whole city needs to change and look outward. I'm convinced it will take an outsider or a group of outsiders to turn Jacksonville into a modern big city, full of hope and opportunity for its people.


    Right now, you could put a whole new School Board in place and not much would change for the better. You may not believe me, but I have lived here long enough to be convinced that is true. In my mind this City is in self-destruct mode. Whether it's total self-destruct or permanent learned helplessness, I'm not sure. Only time will tell. This City has been a tragic city, for it could have been a model city for the nation, but may end up a model of a City determined always to defeat itself. I hope I am wrong. It would be nice to be proud of this City. In my lifetime, I doubt that will be the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more. You get what you sow. Sad, but true. Jacksonville could be a great city, if the ignorants were educated, if children were treated as such, and parents did their jobs as parents. Be a parent and not a buddy, be a parent and not a material machine giver, teach by example, and demand the best.

    ReplyDelete