Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

WJCT joins the marginalize teachers crowd!

A little more about WJCT's dinner supporting education figures. First it is beyond the pale that they honored Gary Chartrand. That guy has done more to harm public education in Florida than anybody and to be honest I am not a fan of Betty Burney either. The only thing that improved with her on the school board was her bank account. I guess some people can disagree with me but one thing we should all agree upon was WJCT's shoddy treatment of teachers.

They acknowledged/celebrated five people in the education world at their dinner and only one was a teacher.  You know one of the actual people that does the educating. That's how it is though in education, the people that do the job are also the people most often ignored, neglected, and marginalized.

There are 7,000 teachers here in Duval but only one was worthy of acknowledgement. That's half as many as who serve on various WJCT boards, Gary Chartrand and Trey Csar, that were recognized, which makes me think that was a more important contribution to them than being involved in education.

Sadly WJCT joined the ranks of those people who believe teachers are an unnecessary evil in education and instead celebrated a privatizer and a few others who either have never or its been years since they saw a classroom.

If you think about it, it really is shameful. 

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if they told Bill Boyers, and their public television supporters that they were going to honor Gary Chartrand. Why does every media outlet in this country have to be virally infected? WJCT was the only TV Station I looked at. Now I might have to stop looking at TV altogether. But I just cant stop looking at Moyers & Company; I guess I will watch it via the net.

    ReplyDelete