Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2020

The Times Union has questions

The Times Union sent me a questionnaire and these were my answers. I also included links to the JPEF and Channel 4 questionnaires. Then if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out, mrgfordistrict3@gmail.com

 Times Union questionnaire

1. Age
52

2. Education
Bachelors degrees in political science and psychology

3. Family status
Wife, Julia Furber and four fur babies, Grrl, Rosemary, Penny and Elle

4. What's your pitch to people who don't know you?

All four people running for the District 3 school board seat have excellent resumes, there is the volunteer of the year, the coach, the college president and me, a 20-year teaching veteran and education activist. Since that is the case, we have to see what sets us apart.  

I am the only public school teacher in the group, and the only one that can say he has been actively fighting for our schools over the last 14 years. I have written thousands of blogs, letters to the editor, and op-eds all about education. These have been published on the blog Education Matters or printed here in Jacksonville and around the state. I also frequently advocate at school board meetings and also testified in the landmark fair funding lawsuit. I have a unique perspective as someone who is not only in the classroom but who has fought to improve things for our teachers, students, staff, and families.

Another thing that sets me apart is what I have been willing to risk and give up. As a writer, I often questioned, and when deserved was critical of former superintendents and school board members, and much of this came when the district sought to punish dissent. My career was threatened time and time again,, and on several occasions, the district tried to intimidate and punish me for my advocacy.

 I had eight different classrooms in 8 years and nearly as many different teaching assignments. Then one year, the district broke its own rules and staffed ultra-violent students into my class of intellectually disabled students putting them and me in danger. Still, I never quit fighting for my fellow teachers and our students. It got to the point where I had to seek legal action, and the district offered me 150 thousand dollars to quit, but I refused. Whether it was a change in administration or a realization that I wasn’t going anywhere, it was only in the last few years did the harassment end.

Then if elected, I will take a significant pay cut that I will never be able to makeup, and I will give up my professional teaching contract, what some people called tenure, as well.

Those aren’t the only things that set me apart. As I said, all the candidates running in district three have great resumes, and my interactions have all been positive. They genuinely seem to care, but two of them are relatively new residents to Jacksonville, one having moved here five years ago while the other returned here after a twenty-year absence also about five years. While the third is doing their third campaign, two for the city council and this one, in the last four years. Compare that to me, who has been in the classroom for decades and singularly focused on improving education and fighting for public schools and the teaching profession.    

If elected I won’t need time to get acclimated, I will show up with many more solutions than questions, and because of my writing, I will bring information and transparency to the city that it has never seen before, and that is long overdue.   
  
5. What's the moment you knew you had to run? Describe this for readers.

I have a great job at a school I love where I work with a fantastic staff and wonderful students. Before I decided to run, I felt perfectly content to spend the rest of my carer there. I have also been advocating for the teaching profession and public schools, so I already felt like I was contributing and playing a role. Then as the pandemic hit and it became hard to find the other candidates’ positions on the issues, I started to get nervous. How do they feel about privatization, testing, electing pro-education candidates, and so many other issues, but most importantly, what did they think about keeping people safe?

If you go to my website, you will find fourteen years’ worth of positions on the issues, but with them, I could only find out about what they had done not what they stand for or want to do. Eventually, my nervousness manifested into the fear that they would not fight for the things I felt important, which first and foremost, right now is keeping people safe. So with some reluctancy realizing all I would have to give up, I decided to run.

I decided why hold out hope that any of them would fight for things I find essential when I could do it myself and that by adding school board member to my resume of teacher, education writer, and activist, I could accomplish even more.       

Then when I decided to run, people told me not to take to strong of a position on a lot of issues and no opinions on anything that could prove controversial. I, however, decided to run like I am not seeking any votes; that way, I could be completely honest at all times. I wouldn’t have to hedge or equivocate, or dodge issues for fear of losing any votes, you can get that elsewhere. This choice has allowed me to be completely honest at all times about every issue.       

 6. What ties/personal connection do you have to Jacksonville and/or your district?

I moved here when I was seven and went to DCPS schools until I graduated from Ed White in 1986. I eventually attended and graduated from UNF, and I have lived at my residence in district 3 for seven years. 

7. What ties/personal connection do you have with education?

I went to and graduated from DCPS schools. I spent one year as a paraprofessional, and I will be starting my 20th year as a special needs teacher in a few weeks. I write extensively about education issues in the blog Education Matters. I have had hundreds of letters to the editor and op-eds published in the Folio, Times Union, and other papers throughout the state. I often advocate at school board meetings and testified in the landmark Fair Funding for Education trial. Then I regularly pitch education ideas to the local media, and, over the years, have helped with more than a few.     

8. What's the biggest issue in your district?

The biggest issue facing District 3 and every district is what to do with COVID- 19, how to keep people safe and educate at the same time.

If there weren’t a pandemic, I would say equity. There are some schools in district three that don’t want for resources while others are scraping by. We must, for lack of better words, bridge the equity gap.


9. How do you feel the school board has handled the back-to-school plan?

I think we have to acknowledge how we are in unprecedented times. That being said, I believe the district has bungled their response, and their plan puts people in danger and will inevitably lead to schools closing.

Everyone should have been put into Duval Homeroom first, and then if they wanted to opt into going into the schools, they could have. Keeping people safe and slowing the spread of the pandemic should be the district’s top priorities. That’s not to say the district shouldn’t do anything for working families and families with children that truly need to be in school. Teachers and Boardmember Willie have also offered solutions that would help with working families, ESE students, and other students that are in danger of falling through the cracks, solutions that have gone ignored.

Then Warren Jones said he would like us to go to online learning before backtracking, saying the district couldn’t get resources to students in time. Perhaps he and the district should have thought about that when they spent 4 million dollars on plexiglass dividers just one month ago. The money would have been better-utilized buying laptops and upgrading our digital infrastructure. Things I might add we will still need once the pandemic is over. There are safer solutions than opening schools that the district is ignoring.

I look at the Florida Marlins as a cautionary tale. Major League Baseball did a lot more than the district is doing and has unlimited resources, something the district does not have and they were forced to shut down after four days.  How long will it be before the first school has to?

I also think we should acknowledge that distance learning did not work great for some, but I can’t help but wonder how much better we could have made distance learning if we would have spent the last two months improving it.

Finally, I want to say everyone wants to be back, we all think that is the best thing, but right now it is just not safe. It is not a matter of if but when and how many schools will inevitably have to close, which means we will have risked lives for what. 

10. What are your thoughts on the half-cent sales tax?

I wrote about the need for a half-cent sales tax back in 2010 when the state first started to starve the district of resources. I reasoned if the state were going to abdicate its responsibilities, perhaps the citizens of Jacksonville would be willing to pick up the slack. So I think it is needed and has been needed for a long time.

Continuing, we should all be outraged by what happened last summer when the mayor and much of the city council fought against the sales tax preventing it from being on the ballot last fall. This purposeful delay gave Tallahassee the time to change the laws and now the district will lose out on hundreds of millions of dollars that will go to the owners of charter schools instead. Because of the lax rules, the money will flow into their pockets and then out of town. Make no mistake much of that money will not go to improving schools but instead to improving the bottom lines of bank accounts. Many of these owners are also large donors to the mayor and city council. Imagine if we would have passed the half-cent sales tax last fall. All the money would be going to dozens of projects that would have created hundreds of jobs that we could use right now.

As outrageous as this is, there is a solution. We need to elect pro-education candidates like Ben Marcus, Angie Nixon, and Joshua Hicks and send them to Tallahassee to change the laws so in the future, the money goes into needed infrastructure and not the pockets of wealthy donors.

Furthermore, if education was a three-legged stool and one leg represents our deteriorating infrastructure the other two legs may be able to keep the stool up. Unfortunately, it is not the only leg that is in trouble in Duval.

Duval’s teachers are some of the lowest paid in a state that already doesn’t pay it’s teachers well and don’t let the governor’s announcement of a pay raise fool you. The reality is it was as close to nothing as you can get, and tens of thousands of veteran teachers will see a pay cut. Teachers do not become teachers to get rich, but teachers’ salaries have regressed over the last decade. A teacher on the same step as me before the great recession made about ten thousand dollars more than I make now. Veteran teachers are out billions of dollars. That is billions in mortgage and car payments and spending that the state has also missed out on. So teachers are underpaid at the same time many of our support staff aren’t making a living wage and aren’t. Why would somebody choose to be a para or a secretary for DCPS when they can make more money working for Amazon.

So it’s not just our infrastructure that we have to address, but how we treat our employees as well.        

JPEF

Channel 4

1 comment: